Tuesday, 7 September 2010


Lizzie's filly foal Sophie this evening

Just a quick snap of Lizzie's filly foal this evening tucked under her haynet. She is being such a good foal - as her mother grew weaker she walked so slowly beside her almost becoming the carer herself. It had been agreed with the vet, that to take the foal away would distress Lizzie more and I think she was her solace as she approached her end.

The vet came daily but the most powerful drugs regime that he could prescribe could not help Lizzie. On Saturday when Lizzie s breathing grew worse we called him again although she had already had her two daily injections and after a large dose of intravenous bute (for inflammation) Lizzie was able to make it to her paddock for a last day in the sunshine.
I watched her in the afternoon as we went to collect them -the cluster of foals with Lizzie.... Lizzie no longer eating but advancing a step at a time as the little group moved forwards, watching over her precious foal as she grazed. Lizzie didn't want her super but as I tempted her with a small scoop of mix, she looked from me to the foal and back to me again several times and I think she knew her time had come.

I got up through the night to check her and each time her ears would prick as i crept quietly in to the yard as she stood immobile and resolute, with her foal standing quietly beside. She was silhouetted against the wall, as she has so often stood before, waiting for her foals to be born in the past. By the morning she was finally ravaged by the disease and too weak to go out although she came to the door with her foal as usual.

I waited a little longer than I should have done before going in to cook the guest's breakfast and so I heard her fall or did she at last lay down but opening her door i was able to let the little foal creep out and gently guide her into the next door box. Such a quiet foal, she waited patiently in her little stable beside her mothers. Lizzie didn't see her go and Charles waited with her for the vet to come and she quietly slid to sleep in her own stable.

In all from noticing Lizzie was loosing a little weight and changing her diet, to her her end was less than two weeks.
Lizzie was only thirteen years old and a precious member of our family always organising us from the gate that looked into the garden. To lead Lizzie through a field of horses was for the sea to part in front of you in a majestic progress, as she with her head raised on her beautiful swan neck held effortless court. Lizzie, who would install herself in her stable each evening to wait for her super and Lizzie gathering all of the foals that she doted on. She was very special.
Lizzie in her first winter with us